Monday 6 July 2020

BBA - Last word

*smug alert*

I try not to be!

I'm aware of maybe over-egging this one but please bear with me...as I hope you'd agree, it was a landmark moment!!! I realize successful accounts can be rather "gripping" (twitching parlance for not connecting with your target bird).

Anyone caring to read this who has dipped...I genuinely feel your pain, for I have been in that position... many times. It's truly a sickening feeling. That's what undoubtedly makes an eventual connection...all the more sweeter!

Beating yourself up is understandable... as hindsight kicks in...

"I should have done this..."
"If only I'd..."
"Yet another Friday departure"

The nuances of a twitch can be subtle... and very painful...yet fascinating and stimulating. The quarry can vary (they're all one) from the "little brown job" to...er...an ALBATROSS!!!

The circumstances in which you connect can also add value and satisfaction to the occasion.

Geography is also key. My chosen location is favourable... even though I'm a Lancastrian! Two MEGA SWIFTS - WHITE-RUMPED and PACIFIC have also turned up locally at Hornsea Mere as well as a certain ACCENTOR in Easington. Other "off the top of the head" memories include REV and CLIFF SWALLOW at you know where. On the other side of the coin, I'm a long way from Cornwall and Scotland.

One example. I still remember vividly Trevor's phone call telling me the BBA was sat on the cliff at Bempton when I was at work in May 2017. Gutted doesn't cover it after being away the year before. Still, third time lucky at the Seabird Colony.

Signing off with my favourite instrumental...


No comments: