Saturday 18 July 2020

LAMMERGEIER...Seconds!

The mighty bird has lingered all week and is still in "fine fettle" thankfully! So, a quick look at the forecast for yesterday tempted me to have "another go". However, I wouldn't be taking the same route!!!

Ma boy and I set off around 5.30am, as I wanted to "suss out" the Cutthroat Bridge (great name as is Strines, Back Tor and Lost Lad) site and be there fairly early. It had been seen in this area at 9.30 (Thursday). Made sense to me. When I arrived it became clear (or so I thought at the time) that the area was a pull in, with limited parking and views? I gave it 30 minutes and then decided to drive Mortimer road to the Strines Inn. After returning with no sightings, I drove down to Ashopton then along the road to the Visitor Centre. There were a few viewpoints and I stopped at a couple but still no luck...or news.

I finally settled on a viewpoint near Ashopton with a panoramic view over the hills and valley...

Beautiful morning


After a swim and drink for Bud, we lingered here for an hour. It was now 9. The limited view at Cutthroat puzzled me (easily done). Then...

9.20 BEARDED VULTURE 1st summer over Bamford Moor 800m from Cutthroat Bridge car park then drifted South

Scramble!

Of course, no sign on arrival as I managed to find a space at the eastern end...just. I STILL found the site puzzling, regarding views? I couldn't see any Birders either? I gave it till 10 and then returned to my original vantage point. Cutthroat Bridge was still niggling me though.

It was now 10.30 and I snapped. Once again I made my way back to Cutthroat. As I reached the pull in yet again...an alert...

10.42 BEARDED VULTURE 1st summer again viewable from A57 from Cutthroat Bridge, slowly drifted North between 10.30 and 10.40

Handy! Panic now ensued. Where was it? Again, no sign of any Birders. Fortunately on this occasion, my parking spot (miracle in itself as the pull in "looked" full) was at the western end, from where I could see a short elevated track! I gathered my stuff...and dog...and headed for the track. Just a guess but worth a stab.

As I reached the crest the view definitely "opened up". I could then see around half a dozen people, a few with bins! They were...focussed...always an encouraging sign. I looked to the North across the A57 and there, hunting the hillside...


was the LAMMERGEIER...



Must have been a sight crossing the A57!!!
It flew directly towards us, over the road and South towards this Crag...


It almost felt like cheating after my previous attempt a week ago...but I'll take it! This was certainly more leisurely...eventually.

I'd managed to inadvertantly/clumsily change my camara setting to manual, so it's a wonder I managed anything really. Not up to my usual standard lol! Incidental really as I enjoyed eyeball views as it flew right over my head and away. Anyway, a few more of dubious quality to give a flavour of the fly-past...












We stayed until 2.30 having lunch and a snooze (that's my mate)...

This is a rare sight, even as he goes into his tenth year!

...but the Vulture didn't re-appear...

A great day...

No comments: