Sunday 12 July 2020

BONECRUSHER!!!

News of a LAMMERGEIER (Bearded Vulture these days apparently but not in my book) roaming the Peak District pricked my ears up! As you may recall, I spent some time with Trevor Charlton in the South West in 2016...without success. The problem was the sightings were intermittent and wide ranging. Would it settle this time?

This species is special to many Birders and my two trips to the French Pyrenees always had this bird high on my list of targets. The opportunity to see one in Britain regardless of its Category was strong for me.

News came through on Thursday that the bird was frequenting the Strines area, an area I am familiar with from many trips in the past, to try for Goshawk.

More news from the same area on Friday. I nearly set off at lunchtime but didn't as I felt the uncertainty and time remaining was restrictive.

So, it was time to formulate a plan for Saturday. The issue was I had to back for 11 as we were expecting a delivery and Louise was working. Information is easy to obtain these days with many online resources available. I weighed up access and parking possibilities before hitting the sack at 10.30. I must confess I still had reservations as again, time was limited.

The alarm went at 1am, I felt positive, so I packed the car and headed for Sheffield. I arrived at the Strines car park around 3.15. I knew parking was limited and unsurprisingly there were no spaces as the overnight brigade had filled them all. I had planned to park further down the road anyway and approach from the North. This was thwarted when I saw the road closed sign! I returned to the Strines area and fortunately found a space. As I opened the gate Lee Evans appeared out of the darkness along with a few other hopefuls. I was hoping to be at the roost site for 5am? The start was steep, very steep. A real tester for my three replacement joints and dodgy back! I was puffing like a steam train as I started the ascent...

The daylight view of the start on my return

There are not many hills around Holmpton. The others soon disappeared into the night (fair enough) as I slowly but surely gained altitude in the now half-light.

Pre-dawn view over the Moors

Fortunately the increasing light gave me a view of the trail of Birders heading onwards. Something to hang onto. The walk along the ridge was obviously easier but it still seemed to take forever (due to my sedentary pace). Thankfully the path was lined with flags...a truly amazing achievement!! At one point a chap (of similar age) passed me and we had a brief chat. He casually dropped into the conversation that he'd broken his back last year! All of a sudden I didn't feel as tired, just humbled.

It was now around 4.30. Understandably I was now looking for "the group". I couldn't see them? I could see the trail of walkers bending around a valley into the distance. This was some walk. Of course, it turned out that the roost site could only be viewed (without potentially flushing the bird) by doing nearly a full circle around the valley. At least there was a path (or so it seemed). WRONG!!!

The next 45 minutes or so were some of the most difficult movements I have ever made. There was no path...just a series of large spongy tufts, pot-holes, bog and heather...oh and a stream to cross! I'd have struggled at 36, at 63 this was hell. I lost count of the number of times I fell. I've questioned my sanity many times when twitching but this particularly morning took the biscuit. At last I could see the troops but I was still (frustratingly) a few hundred yards away, which felt like a couple of miles in my now exhausted state. My legs felt like jelly. Another fall and as I looked up at the sky I heard voices..."It's flying"!

I'd nothing left.

When I eventually got back on my feet it was obvious the bird had drifted down the Valley away from the roost site...and out of view......and possibly on to pastures new?

The roost site at Howden Edge from Crook Clough

Sickening doesn't cover it. If (a little word with a large meaning) the terrain hadn't been so incredibly difficult I'd have made it for 5 and seen the bird. It was surprising (and rather disappointing) that the Vulture left its roost so early...but there you go.

I'd made the effort, so I walked the remaining yards and sat down on the grass with the chaps/and a few lasses...exhausted...and gutted!

The highs and lows of twitching...guess which one this was!

As I gathered my thoughts and my breathing rate decreased, I became aware of some interest in the far distance. Hope?

It was still present!!!

Trouble was my bins (understandably) were steamed up and I couldn't see anything. My attatched lens cloth was also saturated but eventually I managed to clear them. There it was, circling the distant Tor! RELIEF!!!

So, at least I'd seen it...and I definitely thought I'd earned it. It had been quite a challenge.

It was now around 6. As mentioned earlier I had to be home for 11 and the return journey to the car was going to be another challenge...and take at least 2 hours. I decided to stay till 7.15 hoping it might return or at least come nearer? I was slowly recovering and my spirits lifted further when it became apparent the bird was drifting back this way. I raised my camera and then realised it to was fogged up! I detached my extension, gave the lenses a wipe and managed a few images...

Pre-wipe at 5.53am

Incoming.....


The next 30 minutes were simply wonderful as I was treated to the FULL show. My effort was rewarded after all. The LAMMERGEIER drifted, then circled around the valley in the diffuse early morning light...



...before alighting on a chosen pillar of rock to enjoy a meal...and a preen...


The trek had been horrendous but the views justified it...I think?

Birders online have debated this record endlessly...as is the case these days. That's fine...everyone's entitled to their opinion. You have a choice...go...or don't go! The status of this bird is irrelevant to me...I just wanted to SEE it. I will say this. The populations in the Alps and Pyrennes are increasing and more "wild" young are fledging. This is the second bird to have made it over the channel. I guess its origin will remain a mystery.

I've now seen an ALBATROSS (WS 235cm) and a LAMMERGEIER (WS 275cm) in Britain...and more so Yorkshire...in EIGHT days. Pure fantasy. Who'd a thought it?!!!

I won't dwell on the return journey but it was equally as challenging and frankly dangerous. At one point my leg went down a crevasse up to my hip! My surgeon did a great job...thankfully!

I made it back to the car for 9 and made it home in time to score some points.

It was like a who's who of Birders proving the phenominal interest in this bird regardless. I bumped into Andrew Kinghorn and Tom Middleton on "the bog" and John Harriman and Gary Taylor at the Tor then Adam Archer and Jason Oliver on the descent. I didn't have much breath for conversation, unfortunately.

The power of motivation is strong...as I prove on every holiday lol! Some days I struggle to get up the stairs, so I'm amazed I made this slog. Glad I did though. It was great to feel alive and at the limit of my endeavours. The thrill of the chase will always be with me and once I've "locked on" I'll give it my best shot.

There may not be "a tick" here BUT it doesn't matter a jot...it was ALL about the experience.

Last word to the Bonecrusher. Not the best image but I feel it grabs the essence/jizz of the BIG ONE...surveying its domain early morning...

LAMMERGEIER...a far superior name!

2 comments:

Gunner - B - Birding said...

Great read Alan and that bloody walk was beautifully summed up lol.
It might not end up on my British list but it's now on my world list.

Alan Whitehead said...

Cheers Pal. You know how it was!!!