Thursday 23 July 2020

Around and about

Toning things down somwhat after recent galavanting, I spent some time locally. Firstly, yesterday afternoon down Snakey and then this morning...a good walk along the beach to "the Sewage"...soon to become Sewage 2!

A decent flock of Gulls had been lingering down the Patrington end of Snakey and as already metioned I'd seen 5 Mediterranean Gulls briefly on my way back from the Peak District. The farmer was still turning his fields over, so the gulls were still "following the plough". I did a proper "grill" this time and of course I couldn't find any. A Pectoral Sandpiper had turned up at Kilnsea Wetlands and I was tempted but decided to try and "find my own". I wasn't expecting to find this species here...I hasten to add! I was thinking more...Med' Gull.

The farmer moved onto a different field and the Gulls duly followed. They were coming and going but many just rested on the brow of the hill...distantly of course. I persevered. Eventually, there it was...an adult...

Took some finding!

Luckily, it decided to have a stretch and I followed it until it landed, fortunately closer. I watched this smart Larid for around 20 minutes as it had a thorough preen before suddenly taking off and flying high East...







So, to this morning. It was a cracker, so we made good progress towards the Sewage. Plenty going on there at the moment, as work is well underway developing the new site and the outfall...




In the distance, work continues on the sea defences which will hopefully save the road to Withernsea...



As I approached I could see some Gulls loafing on the beach and I was hoping (as always) for something "good". A Tern would do! No luck as I scanned the small group. Then, a dark bird flying towards me then out to sea...


I just managed to catch the distinctive jizz of a Whimbrel. I'd reached the work site, so we turned to head back. Another "bird"...another Whimbrel? Again, the bird flew my way, low over the beach...and fortunately...landed! A Black-tailed Godwit (P.121, H.105) in summer plumage no less...






A lovely bird

The bird was some 50 yds away and was on the ground for no more than 10 seconds (I was on form with the camera) before flying off strongly South. They don't tend to linger here! I messaged Richard and it turned out he was down at Old Hive but he didn't pick it up, unfortunately.

All sightings are "in context" I guess. This is only my third record for Holmpton in 8 years and gives me as much pleasure as any Rarity!

No comments: