Tuesday 21 July 2020

LAMMERGEIER - Paying Homage

Phil was going on his travels again so I thought I'd meet up with him before he departed. What better place to meet than the Cutthroat car park (not again I hear you cry!)  He hadn't seen the LAMMERGEIER, so the opportunity for a final look and a chance to help him to see it, seemed like a plan. In my defence my OCD is mild compared to some...I like to think! Also it was a leisurely stroll rather than a yomp, although some learned figures consider the walk to the roost site a "modest hike"!

I arrived around 8 and Phil was already in situ, although I failed to recognise him initially, with his hat on! I had my friend who was extremely excited to see him. Not sure some of the already growing group of hopefuls shared his enthusiasm. Fortunately, this obviously wasn't a "bird in a bush" scenario...so the whining was tolerated...I think?!

Around 8.30 a familiar face came walking up the path. It was Trevor! A nice surprise and great to see him. We set our stall out and waited. Bud wouldn't settle unfortunately, as he's forgotten to grow up! I've always admired his enthusiasm though.

Then just after 9...it appeared...over the ridge to the North West...


My initial impression at distance (c1 mile) wasn't that of a huge bird (I've always struggled with scale...and other aspects to be honest!) but as it drew nearer (fortunately) the size of this magnificent bird became much more apparent. I was really pleased that Phil and Trevor had connected so quickly, especially after recommending this site to Phil. The LAMMERGEIER was in view for around 5 minutes as it drifted over the A57, circled a few times and then disappeared over the ridge to the South...

A dramatic silhouette




We waited a couple of hours but no further sign or subsequent sightings from elsewhere by 11.30. Trevor decided he'd had enough so we said our goodbyes and I remained with Phil. We decided to give it till 1.

It was now 12.30. Then a shout..."it's here"!

This time it appeared from the South. We were treated to another decent show, albeit distantly, as it continually circled the distant crag. It was time to for us to make our move so we headed back to the car park which was now full. Again, I said my goodbyes and wished him well for his journey South. After packing away, I had a last look over the ridge to the South, in the direction from which the bird was last seen (as us Birders do). I noticed a distant "speck". However, a "speck" at that distance HAD to be something BIG!

Yep, it was BACK! I shouted to Phil and a few others who were present. It was still very distant and high but eventually I think most people got "on it". Fortunately, it was gliding towards us and eventually became (slightly) easier to pick up...

Love the profile as it came closer

...and eventually right over us!!!

I have to say I was chuffed to pick it out at this extreme distance...especially without my bins! The Vulture continued in a South-westerly direction and eventually disappeared over the Northern ridge. A fantastic end to the morning and this was definitely my favourite experience with this bird...all things considered.

Summary

The occurence of this bird has given great pleasure to many people, not just twitchers/birders but also many "ordinary people" who have just wanted to see it. National exposure has meant people have travelled from far and wide hoping to "get lucky". I helped a couple get "on it" as it soared over the car park. The pleasure they showed at "their sighting" was uplifting indeed. Some "snobs" won't lower themselves to travel to see it, as it's Cat E (at the moment). That is their prerogative of course BUT they're missing a special/possibly unique occasion IMHO. The chance to view a wild (and it IS wild) LAMMEGEIER in Britain is priceless. Ticking ISN'T the priority here...enjoyment and appreciation IS. Again, the very idea that I would ever see this species in Britain has always been deep in the realms of fantasy...until recently. There may be another...there may not...but to miss out on it would be a great shame...

No comments: