Sunday 25 March 2018

Cyprus 18 - Turtle Dove sp

Here's honesty for you...

I went down to Mandria early doors to try for yesterday's BCBE's. No sign.

Last try was at Mandria gardens where I knew there was a dead tree!

No BCBE but wait...a Turtle Dove!!!

Early? Didn't I see an Oriental TD briefly in the same tree last year?!!! I managed a couple of pics before it flew. Decisions... decisions! Had a look and blew them up. Plumage features difficult in early morning light...but it looked big to me compared to the adjacent Collared Doves?

I contacted Jane and Colin. You want to let people know asap but don't want to waste their time! It was nice to have that problem...for once.

Upshot...Colin confirmed it was a Turtle Dove (national UK rarity) BUT what a coincidence!!!

Exciting...none the less.

2 comments:

Paul Foster said...

Good find alan!

Alan Whitehead said...

Cheers Paul. Déjà vu... nearly!