Wednesday 14 March 2018

Cyprus 18 - Day 6

Down the headland again for the first 3 hours. It felt "quiet" and it turned out that way. Highlights being...

Ruppell's Warbler

Isabelline Wheatear
Black-headed Wagtail - fly over
Fan-tailed Warbler (again old school!)
Not the best but worth showing. They don't hang about!
Back for Louise and off to Costa. That is the default move when staying local!

While she was ordering I checked the information sites...as you do...
Male CASPIAN PLOVER currently in the grassy area next to the picnic site at Mandria

Well I never!!! Louise arrived and could tell from my face something was afoot! She must have broke the record for drinking a black coffee (I'm a lucky boy). We left around 11 and arrived some 30 minutes later. It was a Cyprus twitch! We pulled up and June Neal gave us the great news that the bird was still present. Where though? I started to scan into the distance but I needn't have bothered as it was feeding some 20 yds away!!!

This was rather closer than last years birds at Lake Paralimni. If you were following then you may remember? The next hour was spent enjoying yet another iconic species by the beach at 20C. Nice!
It was also an opportunity to reacquaint my self with Birders from last year and to introduce Louise to them.

You know I hate death by photograph BUT tonight ladies and gentlemen I'm going to make an exception. This bird needs special treatment, I hope you agree?

The initial..."get a pic in case it flies off"...


Then with patience, something a bit better...


After yesterdays Bimaculated Larks this was almost too good to be true! A dream bird walking around feeding some 230 yds away and totally unconcerned by the admiring group. When dreams come true!



Later I found my first Tawny Pipit of the trip...

I tried for the Bluethroat by the picnic area but no joy there.  then I tried to get a decent image of the Greater Sand Plovers (3) on the beach (all these species were within 200 yds of each other!!!)


One of several Isabelline Wheatears appeared by us...


There was only one star today though. We went back and just watched the bird from the car for the last 45 minutes. We were rewarded when it walked towards the car. Definitely a bird to savour...

Oh HAPPY DAY!

Trip Total 78

No comments: