Tuesday 13 March 2018

Cyprus 18 - Day 5

Full day around Limassol as promised.

First couple of hours were spent at the north end of Ladies Mile and Akrotiri Salt Lake. I'm getting slightly worried over my liking for certain "Gulls" The elegance of a Slender-billed can't be denied...

18 present on the first pool along Ladies Mile.



The Salt Lake failed to produce the wildly optimistic Demoiselle Crane sighting!

After a Costa at the Mall it was time for a twitch. We headed for Akrotiri Gravel Pits. Fortunately I had excellent directions from Jane Stylianou and Tony Reeves which enabled me to be very confident of being in the right area. We drove the pebbles for around 200 yds before noticing a small flock of Larks feeding. A couple were obviously bigger. It took some time but eventually I managed an image I was hoping for...

Bimaculated Lark
It was great to see this difficult species so well. Five Greater Short-toed Larks were also seen. We stooped off at the much improved Phasouri (Akrotiri) reedbed. It was great to see the habitat improvement here

After another Costa (tremendous apple pie!) we headed North of Limassol to Kouris Dam. I'd seen a report of Red-rumped Swallows here. No sign of any but the site is spectacular...


We were just leaving when a dark, slim bird shot past the front of the car and down the dam. Fortunately I managed to re-locate it. A Blue Rock Thrush. As I was watching it a Wheatear came into view. Another Finsch's? No, this time it was a Cyprus. Unfortunately it kept to the bottom of the dam but I did manage a record shot...


The last hour was spent at Zakaki Marsh. The view was disappointing...


Almost completely overgrown now with obviously limited viewing!! I still managed to sneak a Moustached Warbler but no sign of any Crakes or Penduline Tits.

A great day...

Trip Total 71

No comments: