Sunday 4 March 2018

A great day!

I had a plan. As you know, they don't always work out!

I'll say here and now...there's a steam train involved here (cue exit for most). I think I've mentioned my reasons previously. Suffice to say my youth co-incided with the unfortunate demise of steam power. Luckily though there were enough "steamers" left for me to enjoy their last hurrah around my home town of Bury. So, any chance I get these days to view one on the main line is an opportunity not to be missed.

Anyway, I set off for the York area around 9. I had a few areas I wanted to check out to the West. I arrived at Sherburn-in-Elmet around 11.


A decent view. Even I should be able to see a steam train coming! I was a tad early., I had some time to kill so I sussed out a few more possible vantage points. In the end I decided on Church Fenton...
 

 
 
Again a decent approach view but with a bridge which  was hoping would add to the effect, providing it was coming along this line!!! It was now 1pm so I left the warmth of the car and chose my position...and waited. Now this old boy can reach 75mph so I knew I had to be on my toes...as much as I could be, in muck boots! The excursion was from Kings Cross to York and would be the final trip (for now) of this magnificent locomotive.
 
I wanted to give the impression of speed and power. It was over in a flash but I like to think I achieved that.
 
I give you Britannia Class 70013 Oliver Cromwell...
 
 
Now then. I was hoping to make it to York in time to see it on the platform. A tall order but a bit of fun, so off I went. The traffic was fairly light for a Saturday (no doubt due to the weather) and the car park by the river was also sparsely populated.  was n luck...hopefully. After fumbling £2.50 (for an hour) into the machine I hobbled off towards the Station. Large numbers of people were flooding out from all platforms which made viewing difficult. Any steam?
 
I couldn't see any but I then noticed a bridge that led to some more platforms? Up the stairs and along. I looked over....YES!!! It was still there...
 
 
 
 
Loved it!
 
The day got even better. 
 
I received a message from Duncan Bye, a York birder, informing me a Rock Pipit had been seen at Duff'! This was a potential site Lifer. I was handily placed! I arrived around 3 and headed down to Garganey hide. Jono Leadley was in the hide and was looking for the bird with his scope. This was handy as I only had my bins. Modesty almost forbids me to mention that I located the bird feeding on the ice. More luck! This was my 155th species for the reserve, following on quickly from the Iceland Gull.
 
Top fish and chips in Howden concluded a grand day out...
 
Instilling great memories from a bygone age
 
 


No comments: