Friday 16 March 2018

Cyprus 18 - Day 8

Had to start with just one more image of the star attraction that appeared in front of me yesterday morning...


Chuffed to refind it...as you can imagine!!!

Nata Ford...


...produced a Bonelli's Eagle. Just managed to catch it before it spiralled high...


I eventually managed to see the Red-rumped Swallows coming for mud for their nest...



As we left a Black Francolin appeared in front of us. If  I'd been a few years younger I might have got a better pic than one through the windscreen!

Amazing plumage and much more often heard than seen...close
OK...Friday.

Had a couple of hours exploring a new site for me. It's one of Colin Richardson's haunts...Marathounta. Superb views over Paphos to the south...


I had fun getting lost several times but I did manage a fleeting glimpse of my first Great Spotted Cuckoo of the trip.

After picking Louise up we headed once again for the Akrotiri peninsular.

After having some fun with some eastern immature gulls and resting Slender-billeds' I headed once again for the gravel pits while Louise enjoyed a well deserved few hours in the Mall. It was quite windy today and when I arrived  couldn't find anything for quite a while. Birding was done using the car as a hide...aka lazy!

Eventually though I found something hunkered down low...

One of two BIMACULATED LARKS present for a fourth day. Very unusual apparently.

We finished off enjoying a wonderful sunset at Akrotiri Marsh...


Really pleased to see a Glossy Ibis on the deck...



 I also added Little Egret (2) and a Spur-winged Plover was also present. Nice finish.

Field trip meeting tomorrow at Paphos Headland tomorrow. Hopefully a few more migrants will have arrived?

Trip Total 85

No comments: