Monday 27 September 2021

Shetland Thoughts

So, my first stay on Shetland is complete. I left Lerwick at 7pm arriving in Aberdeen at 7am this morning. Just the 12 hour sail. I did manage a few hours kip in my "pod".

After breakfast on the Ferry at 7.30 I caught the train to York at 9.52 to the news that the line between Edinburgh and Newcastle was closed for repairs and we have to divert via Carlisle. Good job it was only £50! My connection to Hull will be long gone, so the good lady is picking me up. I chose well.

*Edited on Monday afternoon!!!*

Recovering now at home after an unfortunate journey home. After my bad luck on the outbound journey if you recall, I was dealt a further blow as I was leaving Aberdeen station. An announcement that the line between Edinburgh and Newcastle was closed for repairs and that we would be diverting via Carlisle didn't go down well. This would turn the journey to York from 5 hours to SEVEN. Further delight came when we were informed the train would be "busier than usual". I had my reserved seat and I wasn't movin'.

Let's just say I made it eventually. I may have to reconsider my strategy next year, if I decide to go again? I might give Sunday a miss!!!

Anyway...some thoughts.These may (or may not) be of use to Birders thinking of visiting?

Shetland is BIG....very Big. Sumburgh at the Southern tip of the Mainland to Baltasound on Northern Unst is 90 miles and takes 3 hours with 2 Ferry crossings. A car is a must but can also mean quite a bit of time spent in it if you're not careful. I tried to avoid this but visiting various sites can mean some significant travel time. The locals don't hang around on the main road, just let them get on with it! The landscape is very hilly with plenty of moorland with little cover which is obviously good for finding birds...if there are any!?

The BIG attraction is the promise of something MEGA turning up and Shetland has an impressive track record. I personally found the Birding VERY difficult in the relentless strong winds, intermittent driving rain and thick cloud. I did see the sun on a couple of occasions!! Having said that it can be a bit lively on Scilly! As you see from my posts I tried to visit various areas of the Mainland to get my first real "feel" for the area. It was inevitable that I would strike comparisons with Scilly...I tried not to be biased!

My review is hopefully not influenced by the number of "good birds" I had seen or hadn't. That wasn't a problem on this occasion. The ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK was the saviour of the trip. This was my third for Britain having seen two previously on Scilly, one on St Agnes (25/10/2007) and another on St Martins (16/10/2019).  No mean feat...even though I say so myself. 

A bit more detail on Saturday's galavanting...

Looking for a RBG with just three other Birders on arrival was quite surreal. No viewing issues. The initial view was decent at around 40 yds.We watched it eating Fuchsia flowers although it was partially obscured...


It was dull...again...but at least it was...THERE. Eventually it popped out into full view...



There were still only FOUR of us present as it flew further up the path. Some 10 minutes later we re-located it. This time it was even closer sat in a bush behind the bungalow...



Being greedy I would have preferred a "tick" but I am VERY grateful to have seen this cracking species once again. After all...it's a Shetland and Scottish tick.

Things got busier later...the bungalow can just be seen in the distance...

I tried to keep the costs down to the minimum, hence the Train (£105 return), Ferry (£110 return), Air B&B (£240) and Car (£240). Plus costs while there but these are offset by what I would be spending at home.

I found the locals generally friendly and helpful. I didn't get the same "feel" for the place that I do on Scilly.  I did enjoy my trip up to Unst (putting the RBG aside). It did bring back memories of my October 2013 trip for the CAPE MAY WARBLER. I made a nostalgic visit to the old Airfield we landed on...



...and eventually I found the site of our success...full story here. Happy memories Steve!

Another fine sight was...


...this full sized replica of a Viking Longboat. Something I definitely wasn't expecting to see!! Also there was a very unusual Bus Shelter...Bobby's...


As I was taking in the sights briefly a bonus Shetland Tick came in the form of this Long-tailed Duck at Haroldswick while I was hoping for Orca...


Trip Total 65 (I'd made an error by counting my 4 previous MEGAS in my total)

In a Nutshell for me...It's Scilly for Birding...and Shetland/Western Isles for Twitching (maybe).

No comments: