Sunday 19 September 2021

Shetland - Day 2

Added Heron and Rook over breakfast before heading for Wadbister on the East Coast to try for the KING EIDER. When I arrived a tour group were present, which was handy but it didn't bring the bird any closer! The flock were at the far side of the bay and the water was "choppy". After much scanning I finally satisfied myself that I had seen the correct bird. You know what I'm like with Eiders!!!

News broke of a Rose-coloured Starling at Aith which isn't far from my digs...handy! I arrived around Noon and there were quite a few Birders mooching around. The bird had been quite mobile but kept returning to a feeder in the "Auld School House". Viewing the feeder was difficult as there was only a narrow path from the gate with hedges on either side. Being tall helps as I could view from the back of the group...thankfully! I managed a record shot...


I said it was a record shot lol! 

Some had entered the garden. I've no idea if they had permission but when I returned some time later ...the gate was shut?! I'll leave it there.

I decided to have a walk around the perimiter of the property hoping to get lucky. I could just about see the feeder over the high wall but it wasn't ideal. I was hoping the bird might land in the bushes. The weather was deteriorating and it had become quite dark. I scanned the bushes and...



My tactics had paid off. While I was waiting I had a bonus sighting feeding on a thistle...

Siskin

The rain was hammering down as I left but it didn't matter now. I returned "home" for some late lunch after grabbing some provisions. The rain eased around 4 and I had a drive down Tresta Voe adding Red-breasted Merganser (15) to my Trip/Shetland List...


They were way out when I arrived but slowly but surely they came right up to the edge of the water.

Trip List 42

No comments: