Tuesday 14 September 2021

Shetland Countdown

Just got back from the dark side to heavy rain in Hull! The irony! Painted the Mother's kitchen which felt good especially as it gave my Sister a break. I'm a good lad...most of the time. Buddy thought he'd put things in perspective though by chewing his back again while we were at the pub having lunch. Very considerate of him two days before he goes into the Kennels. This meant a 6am departure this morning to reach the Vet in Hedon at 9.15. Fortunately it's not too bad although the protective hood will be involved which I could do without being concerned about while I'm away.

Anyway that's my problem.

I write this as I wait for Louise to contact me after her visit to the Hospital for a check up. Gives me time to focus on what needs doing before Friday morning.

I'll be leaving on the 9.50am train from Hull which will arrive in Aberdeen at 5pm. The Shetland Ferry leaves at 7pm and takes 12 hours to arrive in Lerwick. Pick the car up and off I go, hopefully to see something decent on my first day? 

It will be my first trip for any length of time on the Islands having only twitched the Islands in the past...

4 visits for...

CAPE MAY WARBLER 29/10/2013

SIBERIAN RUBYTHROAT 4/10/2014

SIBERIAN ACCENTOR 10/10/2016

TENGMALM'S OWL 27/2/2019

....you can see why I travelled!!!

However, I'm not getting any younger (who is?!) and I want a more chilled experience these days. Sure I might be in the wrong place but it doesn't matter. I'll be in the RIGHT place if something turns up on Shetland and it won't involve a mammoth journey. I'll also be closer, much closer!Besides I'll increase my Shetland List. I'll also become much more familiar with the Islands and the bad weather! I've just been checking my gear. My experience waiting for the SR was a damp one and finished off yet another supposedly "waterproof" coat. How many coats/boots are actually truly waterproof?...not many!

Still one or two logistical issues to finalise but I reckon I'm nearly..."good to go". I'll try and compile a daily report. Bring it on...

No comments: