Wednesday 22 September 2021

Shetland - Day 5

Summed up in one word...Quiet! Still enjoyable though.

I decided to head North today to "Bird" an area around Stenness. It turned out to be VERY scenic and extremely peaceful...until the Bird Group turned up...only kidding! It was a sunny morning after the wild night. Between us we failed to find the Dotterel that had been seen with the Golden Plovers. They gave it 30 minutes, I gave it a couple of hours. The GP's looked fine in the crisp, clear air...


I added a Merlin to my Shetland List as it shot over the moorland in typical fashion. A lone Whooper Swan was on a nearby pool, as were 15 Wigeon.

I headed back South passing the KING EIDER site at Wadbister. I started to walk out on the track again as the flock were quite close to the shore but a squall whipped up and it was soon persisting it down so I abandoned my attempt. I'll try again for a pic if the conditions suit?

Then it was back South to Quendale were I added a male Blackcap. I said it was quiet!! I finished off checking out the Pool of Virkie, a large area of promising mudflat before heading for Sandwick to follow up a report of a Slavonian Grebe. No luck.

5 down...3 to go.

As said many times before...you choose your time and hope for the best. Accomodation "on speck" can be difficult and usually expensive. I picked a decent window but so far the weather hasn't delivered the birds. Still time though and I'm hopeful (as ever) that something special will arrive. If it doesn't no matter, I've enjoyed getting to know the various sites that were previously just names.

Trip Total 65

No comments: