Tuesday 7 September 2021

Bempton Revisited

Up at 4.30 and into Brid' for 6. Latte and Sausage McMuffins and into Bempton car park for 6.30. First car there.

Down the path...

...and a right turn towards Staple Newk. As we approached New Roll Up viewpoint I could see a solitary soul scanning the cliffs... I asked him if he'd "had any luck"? He hadn't...

As you can see the light was beautiful but not ideal for finding an ALBATROSS. We gave it 30 minutes before the gentleman made his way South to Staple Newk. I continued scanning with my bins...hoping for a flight view. Bud waited patiently...

On Guard

I had the viewpoint to myself; a far cry from earlier in the Summer!


Time for more walking. We made our way past Staple Newk and out of the reserve to the South enabling me to view the Newk with the sun behind me...

That's better...quite a sight!

Staple Newk Birders

Still no sign, so I made my way back towards the Staple Newk viewpoint just as positive news came through that the bird was showing. Unfortunately it was distant on the sea and drifting further out. I managed a view through an admirers scope. I gave it till 11 before it was time for another coffee.  Trevor was present and after a chat I decided leave around Noon as I had to be back home for 2. You guessed it; the ALBATROSS returned to Staple Newk at 12.40. That's Birding.

Still thousands of Gannets present with many well developed young. A magnificent spectacle...





2 juveniles squabbling


No comments: