Saturday 11 September 2021

Mediterranean Gull - a record count

A nice couple of hours sat in my Texas Chair at Cliff Farm this morning. I needed a rest! Lovely weather again, if a little more windy.

It was immediately apparent that a LOT of birds were present and there was food about with large flocks of Gulls, some Auks both Razorbills and Guillimots plus a Gannet! I started to scan through them for a Mediterranean Gull...or maybe a Little...or even a Sabine's!?

One, two, three...! I counted 32 before they lifted and headed inland. Easily my best count for the Village. There were still plenty of birds still on the water drifting North. I started to scan again. More. As you can appreciate it's difficult to be precise (at least it is for me) but I like to think I'm conservative in my estimates; there were at least 100 birds in total, almost certainly more!! How times have changed from when I used to go to Holbeck car park near Scarborough to see some. Looking at the Spurn report for last year I see there were 377 counted along the Humber on September 20th, so still some way to go!

A very enjoyable experience and quite a surprise. Again, fortunate to have so close to home.


No comments: