Monday 24 August 2020

Rush Birds - revisited

Just taking in a bit of the Test Match and I thought I'd review my "Rush Birds"...as you do! Always nice to freshen things up. So, what are my criteria? Excitement, circumstance, experience, species? Time goes by and (my) opinions change I guess. Details in the left hand column.

Anyway I've made my decisions...for now. Demoted are GYR and LITTLE BUSTARD. The Gower GYR will always be special though as...well it's a GYR and it took me 19 years to finally see one! The LB was the culmination to a fantastic mini-twitch to Scilly which notched me BLACK AND WHITE WARBLER, BLACK DUCK and BUFF-BELLIED PIPIT. However, I've decided another species tops it now. So, what are my new additions...I hear you cry?

Top 10 - (click on species for account)

1. BLACK-BROWED ALBATROSS

2. COMMON NIGHTHAWK

3. YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO

4. AMUR FALCON

5. CLIFF SWALLOW

6. WHITE-THROATED ROBIN

7. CAPE MAY WARBLER

8. TENGMALM'S OWL

9. OVENBIRD

10. WHITE-RUMPED SWIFT

There we go then. OVENBIRD and WHITE-RUMPED SWIFT make it into my top 10...pop pickers.

The former was a tragic case on Scilly in 2004 but the journey and connection were exhilerating. Top quality, last minute tick! The latter was a mad scramble down the road to Hornsea Mere in fading light in October 18. A first for Britain...to boot!


No comments: