Saturday 15 August 2020

Swatch

I followed up on my promise by rising at 6 and setting my stall out by 6.45 for my first proper Sea Watch of the "Autumn"...

Evidence!


Things started slowly although there was a steady stream of Gannets of various ages, heading North. Sandwich Terns were also in evidence, also mainly North. The usual sight of drifting groups of Herring Gulls was also in evidence along the cliff edge. Things started to liven up when groups of Kittiwakes P.128, H.111 (many juveniles with their distinctive wing pattern) started to appear. A fine sight.

Then a dark slim shape appeared at medium range. A Skua...but which one? The bird was noticably slim and bouyant in flight. It did a couple of circuits and even landed on the sea briefly. By now I was happy I was looking at a juvenile Long-tailed Skua (P.129, H.112). Next came a couple of Arctics (P.130, H.113) one of which was in hot pursuit of a Sandwich Tern's catch.

A diminutive whirring Auk sped North...my first Puffin ((P.131, H.114) of the year! Next came a Fulmar, very close in.

I then spotted a couple of Guillimots together on the sea, an adult and a juvenile. A line of Ducks sped South...Common Scoter plus a solitary Teal?

Full List in 3 hours

Common Scoter - 15

Teal - 1

Oystercatcher - 4

Fulmar - 4

Gannet - c250

Kestrel - 2

Black-headed Gull - 1

Herring Gull - 42

Kittiwake - 42

Sandwich Tern - 25

Common Tern - 1

Long-tailed Skua - 2 juveniles

Arctic Skua - 4

Puffin - 1

Guillimot - 2 ad and juvenile

A good decision!


No comments: