Saturday 2 March 2019

TENGMALM'S OWL - Recovery!

Overkill has already taken place BUT I've just downloaded my pics from the trip and feel it's only right to post a few to tidy things up. Last one...promise. It is a VERY special bird after all.

I had a stroll along the Cliff this morning and had a good chat with Richard. I needed some air after a very long journey home. Worth it though.

So, a few images to record the occasion...

The Site at ...

Lea Gardens
The view over the pond from my bench. It was a long day...


Big twitch!


By early afternoon I still hadn't got a half-decent image. I intended to wait until dusk anyway. hoping for the dusk show (as already mentioned). As you can see below the sun was now a problem for general viewing, as a roosting Owl wasn't going far!



After another nap (I only got an hour coming over on the Ferry) I returned to my vantage point and waited some more. Eventually I managed to use the bird to block the sun to an extent enabling me to get this image of it regurgitating a pellet...


One or two of some of the birds present in the Lerwick harbour...

Black Guillemot with Crab
 
Long-tailed Duck
 




This was the best I could manage of the Star turn in its second roost site (shame about the twigs!) I was happy to get this to be honest. Restricted viewing!!


The bird is still present today and hopefully will remain undisturbed enabling others to connect until it decides to move on of it's own accord. Another slight concern would be if the owners became irritated with Birders standing on plants. If everyone behaves (a big ask) there shouldn't be a problem. I and many others made significant donations to their chosen cause.

I finish with my enduring image of a tiring but extremely satisfying four day adventure...


Just received a message that access will cease after Wednesday.......



No comments: