Tuesday 4 August 2020

BLACK KITES!

Remarkable news came through on Sunday evening from the LDV when 2 juvenile Black Kites were identified retrospectively from Wheldrake Ings!! Initially thought to be Red, photos posted on Twitter proved differently...

It was worth "a go".

I decided to look North from Duff (surprise, surprise). It's a fabulous view regardless...so I set my stall out and scanned...

View from Garganey Hide

The first bird I saw, albeit distantly through the heat haze was a Great White Egret (61). Not a bad start! I also managed a Whinchat (62) and a Wheatear (63) for the year. A Kite!!!...Red plus c8 Buzzards. A cc Marsh Harrier also gave great views mid-afternoon, flying right over the hide.

A couple of Common Terns (64) fed on the river. No luck with the BK but I wasn't holding my breath! All in all a very relaxing session picking up a few year ticks and enjoying the summer sunshine. Amazingly, no Hirundines were noted!?

....................................................................................

This mornings coastal walk included views of a decent group (for Holmpton) of waders at low tide. I saw my first Redshanks (H.108) of the year. Dunlin and Ringed Plovers were also present amongst the various Gulls and Terns...which included a couple of hoped for Arctics (P.125, H.109).

Late result at the Sewage...more Arctics (5) and the hoped for Commons (P.126, H.110). I also enjoyed close views of three superbly "spangled" juvenile Sanderlings...doing their "clockwork toy" impression.

No comments: