Wednesday 12 August 2020

ROLLER - Spurn Tick!

Last night I set my alarm for 7....yes THAT early! Of course I didn't hear it, as my love for an early rise kicked in, yet again!

Eventually the "ping-ponging" of alerts raised me from my slumbers and I fumbled for my phone...and glasses...

6:57  Report of a Roller flying past Long Bank Marsh mobbed by Magpies

Scramble...

I made my way down to Spurn at a reasonable 50mph mainly due to the fact I had a spare wheel on due to a flat the other day. Ever had trouble with the dreaded "locking wheel nut"?

As I reached Easington straight I started to look for birders but couldn't see any. I reached the turning for Peter's Lane, still no one in sight. What to do? I checked my messages...

7:50  Roller again between Easington straight, Peter's Lane and Humberside Lane

I drove to the end of Peter's Lane. Still no one in sight, so I rang Steve Webb. Fortunately he answered and told me the bird was further towards Kilnsea on Easington straight. I soon found the modestly sized, dispersed group. I pulled up and asked if it was showing. It wasn't. Steve was amongst them as was Lance Degnan.  I had a quick scan and miraculously located it in flight. PHEW!!!

I drove down to Kilnsea Wetalnds and parked up. I then walked back to Long Bank and met Tony and Jayne. Tony let me look through his scope and I had reasonable views at c200yds through the heat haze. The bird flew North at 8.20am and hasn't been seen again.

 I JUST made it for my Spurn Tick...310. I was VERY lucky. 

Definitely a "Bona Fide" bird, if ever there was one....and a cracker to boot!

3 previous records: July 2007, September 2010 and May 2012 which ended up at Aldbrough.

.....................................................................................

Just another few thoughts on choice. Birders/Twitchers are obviously free to choose which birds they travel for. "Insurance ticking" can be a wise choice...sometimes. My views are just that...no offence is meant to anyone travelling to see...er...anything! 

There you go...

..........................................................................................

Had an afternoon stroll down to Sammy's to try for the Bittern. I joined Rich Swales for a super optimistic scan. No surprise on the outcome but really enjoyed swapping old war wounds with him. Top Bloke!


No comments: