Saturday 1 August 2020

Walking the walk

A glorious Summer's day, so time to make the promised (to myself) walk to Withernsea. I wasn't expecting much (it goes with the terrritory) but Bud was keen, so off we jolly well went.

Whimbrel...passing South in numbers...22, 9, 5 then 6. Oh and a Curlew! I wanted to have a nosey at the sea defence work. I'd spied it from a distance many times but today was the day for a closer inspection. Plenty of Gulls about but nothing "unusual".

We have FOUR Sand Martin colonies locally this year...they all seem to be thriving!




As already mentioned the main aim was to finally have a look at the recent works at the Sewage Outfall and the sea defences at Withernsea. This seemed to be the perfect time.

There's even a temporary ramp from the Cliff Top

Much more sand around at the moment

The view North from the Sewage...


Rip-rap in evidence and much needed as the cliff is perilously close to the Withernsea - Holmpton road...







It's certainly livened up our coastline...and the "extra" habitat MAY provide some additional sightings...he says hopefully!

On returning I spotted a couple of Ringed Plovers briefly on the beach before flying South. I then spotted Richard with some family members approaching from the South. I'd just picked up a lone duck on the sea after viewing a party of 7 Common Scoter landing distantly. A combination of Bud, other dogs and introductions meant the grilling of "said duck" was brief...but long enough to rattle off a few pics before it flew off strongly South. Tufty or Scaup? Turns out it was my first record (and Richard's) of Scaup (179) for Homlpton! An "unseasonal" record but they do occur....obviously!

So, a nice conclusion to my 7 mile walk. It was a pleasure to be "out there".

Later in the day I had brief and distant views of a male Marsh Harrier on Snakey. A short stop off at the Sewage post Tesco produced a mixed group of waders heading purposefully South which included my first Knot (8) of the year (some fine brick red examples) plus 6 Whimbrel and four Oystercatchers.

No comments: