Thursday 21 May 2020

Virtual Twitching!


Perfect Lockdown therapy!

I've been reading this book for a while now (I'm a slow/reluctant reader). I jumped on the Rare Bird Bandwagon in 1989 with the DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT at Charlton's Pond, Billingham. Not a bad introduction as it's turned out! Rarity value rather than aesthetic charm. My biggest regret is not going for the GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER later the same year? I guess that sums twitching up in a nutshell! It's ironic now looking back, as I was going to Norfolk and Suffolk, albeit as part of a team on occasional Sundays (young family and all that) but considered Kent too far to justify!? Ah well. The GREAT BUSTARDS of 87 are also still a painful if distant memory...although just to add balance, I did eventually score with the RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH in 89. After dipping it in the initial scrum, I connected the following Spring, in far more relaxed circumstances.

The book has some fabulous accounts of Rare Birds throughout the 80's, most of which I obviously wasn't involved in, as I was still kicking a ball about.

The book is fantastic. I've had it since it was published but never read it completely. I just dipped in. It's really helped during this suppression (in more ways than one). Terrific accounts from various sources throughout Britain, recalling special birds and memories from the all four corners. Some contributors are familiar, some acquaintances and some I even like to call friends.

A lot of the information, especially from the 80's and 90's is new to me. I guess I only became "serious" around the turn of the Century. So, I've not done too bad, especially as I've "let some go".
Always selective!

Anyway, if you're into Rare Birds and haven't read this book, it's thoroughly recommended.

..............................................................................................

Locally I've managed to bump my Holmpton Year List up to 99. The latest addition was a Hobby over the garden this lunchtime while we were eating our salmon sandwiches. Felt like cheating in a way! STILL no Swift for me?

4 comments:

Tim Dixon said...

97 for me and also still no Swift!

Alan Whitehead said...

I'm guessing no breeders there...like here?

Tim Dixon said...

Yep!
Not likely to see one today either - Force 10 with occasional snow flurries!!!

Alan Whitehead said...

Winter not over yet then! Had a couple over the garden at lunchtime.