Sunday 10 May 2020

Time for a breather

As the wind and rain battered against the window this morning I simply turned over and went back to sleep. Bliss!

A slow day was had reminiscing over past trips and sightings...another one of those "things to get around to". I'd always wondered exactly how many times I'd been to Texas and Stateside in general? Well now I know. After cranking up the old computer it appears I've had 13 trips to Texas (471 sp) and 26 all told including Alaska (686 sp) which has taken us to 40 plus States. No wonder I'm skint! I've had one helluva time though!!!

These facts are not aired in any boastful way...just a statement of fact...for the record. Just think of the other places I may have travelled. It really doesn't concern me though, as I'm VERY satisfied with my choices.

World Birding has never interested me. Yes, I've been a few places including Australia but nowhere gives me the "buzz" that I get Stateside. It's not just the Birds. I love the history, hospitality, infrastructure, scenery etc etc. Many friends have been made over the past 20 years and I hope we have some more adventures to come, after missing out this year.

The advent of eBird and Internet resources in general has no doubt enhanced Birding but I try to keep it "Old School" as much as possible. I still use a notebook!

I've really enjoyed the hard yards of the last few weeks. If nothing else it's helped me lose 20lbs! Quite pleased with amassing 96 species so far, although friends up and down the coast will find that "modest" to say the least. It's a marathon not...

My best Holmpton year total is 130 (don't laugh) which I acheived in 2018, so hopefully I can top that this year with all the extra hours I have at the moment. We are lacking certain habitats here.

Anyway, enough for now...this is getting rather long-winded. I'll leave you with a couple of birds to brighten the prose which I saw on my winter trip to Texas in December 16. You know how it is...you hope to get lucky and I certainly did with these two...

AMAZON KINGFISHER. Laredo...(3rd record for Texas and the ABA)


Lewis's Woodpecker...(a western species, scarce in Texas in winter)

My favourite 'pecker!

No comments: