Friday 31 May 2019

Texas 19 - The final run in!

OK, it's now May 2nd, so only three days left. What to do and where to go?

My main hope (unsurprisingly) was for a late "fall". The forecast didn't look favourable but things often change.

The day was spent on Galveston Island. A later start after yesterday's long drive. I checked out a few sites down the West of the island. One spot had reported an Anhinga (rare on the Island) but I could only see Cormorants. I also tried (for a fourth time) to connect with the Great Kiskadee that had been present for over a week. I heard it briefly but couldn't manage a view. 8 mile road had a Wilson's Phalarope present the day before but I couldn't find it. There was a lone FWD doing a balancing act though. A very smart Duck indeed!

Fulvous Whistling-Duck
Late afternoon I spent an hour at the Eastern tip hoping for my Frigatebird (I'm a tryer!). Still no luck there BUT I did score with a lone Black Scoter.

March 3rd started with an early trip again on the Ferry to bird the lower half of the Bolivar...





A wonderful 3 hours were spent soaking in the awesome spectacle that is Bolivar Flats.

As most/all of us do I'd created a list of possible birds I would/might see on the trip. This species was on my list but I'd overlooked it. So it was a nice surprise when one popped up on Rettilon Rd (the approach road to Bolivar Flats)...

Horned Lark
Also present were a couple of Common Nighthawks in a familiar pose...


Hundreds of Black Terns were present, a fine sight...



Large numbers of Least Terns were nesting...




Royal Terns were also present in numbers...


Tricolored Heron


...and of course Reddish Egret...


Time for one more stop before returning to Galveston. Another smart sparrow was my target. I was going to try a location (thanks to eBird) that I hadn't been to for years...namely Tuna Rd. Time was tight so I drove slowly North along the road scanning the sea grass at regular intervals. Lots of small birds shooting around...and then disappearing!

I continued towards the end were the Intracoastal Canal loomed. A couple of brief glimpses and then a decentish pic...

Nelson's Sparrow
Time to head for the Ferry. On the way back I noticed a Roseate Spoonbill fly into a ditch by the road. Worth a look. Glad I did...


A prime example of why I come here!!!




Wonderful birds...

No comments: