Saturday 18 May 2019

Texas 19 - Big day on the Bolivar

It's April 27th and it's 6am. We're ready for a BIG day on the Bolivar! We're only 10 minutes from the Ferry and we got lucky with the timing...


A wonderful tranquil crossing...


First port of call was Frenchtown road which is first left off the Ferry. Always a good bet for Rails and sometimes Bitterns. First bird of note was this fine Yellow-crowned Night Heron...


Next a couple of Soras feeding right by the road...


Then the dreaded Clapper/ King Rail conundrum! I've gone for Clapper...mainly on habitat...and probability!



Then a BIG bonus. I noticed a movement in the distant reeds. Although still early my camera was able to focus on the bird/s through the reeds...impressive!


Then two birds...


This was an excellent opening to the day. Very fortunate to get such excellent views of these secretive species...


Flushed with success we headed towards High Island. I'd got a site for Great Horned Owl from previous trip (per Tim Isherwood), so I thought I might as well give it a try, as we were passing. We pulled up by the Intracoastal Bridge. I remembered the tree the bird was in and although I was looking into the early morning sun I could scan the tree fairly well with my scope.

After a few minutes, I had a bird...



Great to see...obviously!

Next, it was our first visit to Anahuac NWR, a fine reserve indeed. Louise was keen to see an Alligator and this was our best chance. We managed it...


A decent sized specimen (15 foot) amongst the many tiddlers! I had an excellent couple of hours scanning the waders and wildfowl.

Stilt Sandpiper...


Fulvous Whistling-Duck (yes, they do whistle)


After some lunch with more Tanagers and Mulberries...

Scarlet Tanager female
...and a quick look around High Island (which was very quiet) we spent the rest of the afternoon back down the peninsular at Bolivar Flats...and some Plovers...

Snowy with Semi-palmated in the background...


Wilson's...


Piping...


So, all four present and correct...I hope!

Also present was a lovely white morph Reddish Egret...


I didn't see many White Pelicans during the trip but a few were present here...

Truly HUGE birds

A fitting finale to another great Texas Birding day...

No comments: