Thursday 9 May 2019

Texas 19 - Hill Country (2)

After a good nights kip I was ready for the next full day in the Hill Country. I'd decided to try South Llano River S.P. about an hour NW on I10.


A new site for me. The weather wasn't playing ball. However, there were good birds to search for, despite the threat of thunderstorms.

My main target was the wonderful Varied Bunting. Present in this area last year. I was a little "early" but it was worth a try. Besides there were other "good birds" to be seen here. I gave it ninety minutes but it wasn't to be. A Blue Grosbeak tried hard to be an imposter...


A smart Lark Sparrow was a fine sight...


I checked out a few of the blinds, I was hoping for a thirsty Black-capped Vireo. No luck there (again) but the White-crowned Sparrow was superb...


At one stage it broke into the sweetest song. Magical! This Lincoln's Sparrow posed well...


A Canyon Towhee joined the party...


I try to avoid feeding stations but sometimes you just have to succumb...especially when you add this beauty...

Painted Bunting
A dull morning meant this Purple Martin was a silhouette...


I returned for Louise then re-traced my steps as we hoped the weather would improve. Fortunately by 2pm it started to break and we enjoyed the rest of the day in the park. Martin had sent me a message tipping me off about a Lazuli Bunting that had been seen at one of the feeding stations? I tried them all! No luck. I did get a fleeting glimpse of a bathing Nashville Warbler...




Also visiting various feeders were a couple of 'peckers...

Golden-fronted

Ladder-backed
I'd noticed on the eBird report that the bird was on a particular type of feeder, which I couldn't find?
It niggled me. This was an example of when my 3 PAYG SIM paid off big style. I checked the Facebook post and the Birder who'd seen the bird had added a comment saying the feeder was at the camp hosts RV! It was late in the day now but I managed to find the RV and the said feeder. I raised my bins and there it was!!! Only for a few seconds but long enough for me to grab a record shot...


Lazuli Bunting
A nice finale...
.......................................................................................

My return home has coincided with a couple of unusual sightings in my rejuvenated yard. I had a Crow on my fat balls today!! I've also had a few visits from a Great Spotted Woodpecker. A walk down the cliff this morning in grim conditions was brightened by a couple of Swifts (P.92, H.68) braving the elements.

No comments: