Monday 13 May 2019

Texas 19 - Bobolink

I realize I've already posted a pic BUT I wanted to do the day justice with a "proper" write up.

It's April 26th and we're back in our flat on 16th Street, Galveston. I was up early again and down at Settegast Drive just East of Lafitte's Cove by 6.45. I'd arranged to meet Adam Archer and his wife at Lafitte's at 7.30. The reason I'd made the journey early was...Bobolink!

This species has a narrow window of opportunity in Texas and I was afraid I'd missed it...again. The day before Galveston Birders had been enjoying record numbers on Settegast while I was driving back from the Hill Country.

I knew the road well by now and positioned myself on the bend which has an excellent parking area. I started to scan. No Bobolinks BUT a sight I was hoping to enjoy sometime during the trip...



Still pre-dawn and distant...but unmistakable...Common Nighthawk. Memories of Scilly!


Using panning, I was chuffed to get these images in the twilight...


Greg Hall appeared on his way to work. I'd met him previously but wasn't aware that he worked locally. He enthused about yesterdays sightings. I said I had to leave to meet a friend but would return later. He said he's keep an eye out for them.

I met Adam and Nadia at Lafitte's car park. It was great to see them and they were obviously keen to bird this top migrant trap. It was fairly quiet but new birds were added to there list in the next hour or so.

It was around 9 by now and I had to return for Louise. I wished them well on their travels and set off back. I couldn't resist a quick peep on Settegast...you know how it is! Still no sign...but guess who was coming down the road...Adam and Nadia! Adam said he'd let me know if they saw any.

An hour later I knew they had!

We returned to the site. Louise set her stall out and I started to search for my Texas tick. I managed to find a small group of Dickcissels, which was encouraging. The vegetation was long and birds were only visible when they perched up for short periods on the longer grasses and bushes. 30 minutes went by with no sign. It was getting warm by now. Then...I found one!!!


After 19 years...I'd added this very dapper species to my Texas list. 470. A great personal moment to be cherished.

Greg appeared...


He said he'd seen some on his patch. "Jump in"!

The next 20 minutes were exhilarating to say the least as we zoomed over the terrain at considerable speed! I trusted he knew what the ground was like. I held on...tight!

Eventually we were both enjoying prolonged close views of this super bird...




A tough bird to connect with...even for the locals, so it was doubly pleasing to share the moment with Greg. Thanks Pal...


Probably the best experience of the trip...

No comments: