Saturday 1 June 2019

Texas 19 - Last day

Our flight was at 17.30. Plenty of time for some Birding!!

...and the chance of a Texas tick to boot. A BLACK TURNSTONE had been reported at Sea Rim S.P, which would be an amazing record. Some controversy over the bird but enough interest to base my last day around it.

Another chance for "my" Magnificent Frigatebird on the Ferry...alas, another dip. We made good time to Sea Rim arriving  around 9am. I asked the Ranger on the gate if there was any  news on the bird. He told me many Birders had been looking since dawn and the bird hadn't been seen. That saved a few dollars lol!

Far from a disaster, I headed up the road to the superb Sabine Woods, one of the best migrant traps in the US.

My luck was IN as it became immediately apparent a "fall" of some magnitude had occurred! I spent a quality few hours enjoying great views of a nice selection of Warblers but the star was undoubtedly this cracking Blackburnian...






The other showy star was this Philadelphia Vireo...


Time to leave for the airport...

n.b. I'll do a "final thoughts" plus Stats post soon. All posts can be found in "Labels - Texas 19" in the right hand column of the Blog...if you're having a slow day!

1 comment:

Pam said...

Looks like a pretty good way to spend your last day!