Monday 6 November 2017

TEXAS 17

Well, it's nearly time.

Last minute prep' today then over to the Mother's tomorrow afternoon. My eldest is coming to stay and look after the house. The plan, as usual, is fluid. The main objective...to have a great time...and maybe add a species or two to my lists. ABA and Texas...or both!

As I've said before...and will no doubt say again, personal accounts are just that, whether on Facebook, Twitter, Blogs or whatever. Some find them interesting...some don't!

I've found this Autumn boring frankly. Maybe a consequence of age and diminishing returns...and crap weather! I like to think I've tried hard (and will continue to do so) but the birds just haven't materialised. I add the caveat that I was VERY pleased to add AMUR FALCON and AMERICAN REDSTART to my British List. Two crackers there!!

My targets are difficult...that's why I haven't seen them...lol! They're also distributed far and wide throughout this vast State in a variety of habitats. So what are they?  know your dying to find out!

Tundra Swan
White-winged Scoter
Long-tailed Duck
Greater Prairie Chicken
Band-tailed Pigeon
Blue-throated Hummingbird
Broad-billed Hummingbird
American Woodcock
Red-necked Phalarope
Red Phalarope
Sabine's Gull
California Gull
Iceland Gull
Glaucous Gull
Sooty Tern
Bridled Tern
Cory's Shearwater
Audubon's Shearwater
Wood Stork
Rough-legged Hawk
Golden Eagle
NORTHERN PYGMY OWL
Short-eared Owl
Williamson's Sapsucker
Red-breasted Sapsucker
RUFOUS-BACKED ROBIN
VARIED THRUSH
Sage Thrasher
Cassin's Finch
RED CROSSBILL
Lapland Longspur
SMITH'S LONGSPUR
McCown's Longspur
Sagebrush Sparrow
Baird's Sparrow

ABA ticks in capitals.

Plenty to go at then? All have occurred in November...some more than others! Just for a bit of fun I've marked the birds I've got the best chance of seeing (with luck) in bold. Doesn't look as impressive now, does it! Time will tell.

The Seabirds and Gulls will be miracle sightings. The Wildfowl, Hummingbirds and Longspurs weather dependant. There's been an irruption of Cassin's Finches and Crossbills into the State. I may get my ABA Crossbill tick at long last in a place I wouldn't expect to!

I'll admit to and be grateful of help from eBird. Texas and Rio Grande Valley RBA's. The icing on the cake would be a MEGA appearing during the visit. It has 22 days to arrive. My choice would be either MASKED DUCK or NORTHERN JACANA. They owe me from previous visits. Any old first would do!!!

The wonderful thrushes have unfortunately disappeared (for the moment)...VARIED and RUFOUS-BACKED ROBIN. As has the stunning Williamson's Sapsucker.

My Texas list stands at 463 species. Happy with that. Just nice to add a few each trip whilst we're on our travels. As it stands we'll be heading for the Panhandle first, way up North to Amarillo...cue song! Big distances in BIG country. Best to get the road trip in early before we settle in the RGV. We aim to finish off in our favourite spot...Galveston...for 4 nights.

I aim to write the usual diary of events. Maybe you'd like to follow? It'll be to have a break before I get my early Christmas present...a new knee!

Stay tuned...

No comments: