Tuesday 21 November 2017

Texas 17 - Day 12

Up at 7 to the sound of thunder. We were due some inclement weather. Packed the car and headed east. Weather was still poor at Harlingen, so we had the mandatory Starbucks. We found the 100 and headed for SPI. On the way I had a couple of stops in mind for raptors...it was my birthday after all!

Aplomado Falcon is a re-introduced species that is now "tickable". There are a number of nest cages scattered about this area with some decent car parks to avoid the fast traffic. We found one of them with a pair present...

A far representation of the view from the car park
I tried the trusty Pany...


A decent effort helped by the relatively cool temp' (60F). In the hope of savouring some of these special birds we spent the next hour watching them hunt the immediate area...well I did!

I tried a few with the phone through the scope...


Average!

Lovely bird.

Next it was a slight detour to the exclusive Laguna Vista. I'd seen the next two species well here in the past and today didn't disappoint.

Osprey...


Harris's Hawk...


My favourite Hawk. Just class.

I spent three hours at the SPI Birding centre just seeing what came and went. There's an extensive system of boardwalks through the Mangrove swamp. The sky was overcast and probably the dullest afternoon of the whole trip so far. Nice to enjoy the cool walk though. The birds are used to people so you get great views...of Great Egrets amongst others...


American Coot...



American Wigeon...


Ads I was leaving my favourite Egret appeared in the distance. It was nearly dark now but I managed a record shot. I hope to have a closer encounter tomorrow...


Just as I was gong through the exit gate I heard a by-now familiar clicking  noise. There perched under a bush was a superb Green Kingfisher...


Definitely a record shot...but who cares!  watched it for a further 10 minutes through the Trinnies. They performed VERY well!

Full day on the island tomorrow.

Trip total 125

Stay tuned...

No comments: