Saturday 4 November 2017

Hawfinch flock!


Added Hawfinch to my York Area list this morning, it's only took me 31 years!  Birds had been recorded in good numbers nationally and Castle Howard Arboretum had to be a decent shout (Harry hindsight I know) to catch some of the unprecedented irruption, with its supply of Hornbeams.

I arrived around 10.30 and immediately saw a few familiar faces. I paid my £7 and asked the lady if  was guaranteed a sighting! I made the short walk and joined the modest admiring crowd. Most were grouped in an orderly manner BUT there were (as usual) a few commandos in the bushes. Fortunately the birds were high in the trees and distant. However, over the next 45 minutes I enjoyed stunning views of decent numbers of these superb birds though the 'scope. I shared the enjoyment with Craig Thomas, it was good to see him. We commented on the dire Autumn generally but this was a real bonus to be enjoyed. The sight of groups of this species bobbing around was something to behold. It was impossible to give an exact number but I would guess there were at least 50 birds present.

It was very dull but at least it had stopped raining.

For the record...


The trees along the road looked stunning...


A good decision...

No comments: