Monday 20 November 2017

Texas 17 - Day 11

Out west today, but not too far. Although we ended going further than anticipated due to it being Sunday. Limited services early doors and all that. So instead of Birding Salinino we ended up (after a Subway stop) at San Ygnacio! No matter. It was good to make a nostalgic return visit here to where I saw my ABA/Texas White-collared Seedeater many moons ago. We stayed for a couple of hours and had the place to ourselves. No WCS were seen nor much else for that matter. Disappointing.

We then retraced our route to Salineno. WCS had been reported from here recently as had Audubon’s Oriole and Zone-tailed Hawk. There are two main areas here, the campsite (with feeders) and the river footpath. There was a group by the feeders so I headed for the river to try for the Seedeater. Ospreys were in evidence…


Plenty of “Mexican Ducks” floated around and a few Great Blue Herons fished. I checked the reeds for an hour but nothing was seen. I returned to the car and Louise said she’d seen a fox. A gray fox apparently, as we were told later.

I then made my way into the campground to check out the feeders. I was called in by the host, so I walked around the RV and sat next to him. We had a great chat about ABA birding and we shared stories about Arizona and beyond. Nice chap. He said that a couple of hawks had quietened things down somewhat. Anyway after around 20 minutes, the Green Jays started to re-appear…


So did the Hawk!!!


Cooper’s and Sharp-shinned are very similar. I feel this is a Sharp-shinned. The smaller head, thinner build and squared off tail confirm this. I was lucky to be present when this stunning raptor appeared briefly at the feeding station.

The site closed at 4 so I walked with Mike to the gate. I had 5 with Louise then headed for the river again. A few vultures had appeared. I’d checked hundreds of Turkey in the hope of a ZTH. Today it paid off...I think!?


A distant dark raptor.


This isn't the head profile of a Turkey Vulture and I'm sure there's a hint of a tail band. Happy with that.

I gave the riverside path the full treatment till 5.30 but no sign of any WCS. I did see a distant Harris’s Hawk just before dusk…


We both agreed this was yet another beautiful place and it’s likely we’ll return later in the week...

The Rio Grande across to Mexico
We’re off to San Padre Island early tomorrow for an overnight stop at the Best Western as my birthday treat. 21 yet again!


Trip Total 118

Stay tuned…

No comments: