Friday 24 November 2017

Texas 17 - Day 15

Today was just an ideal one. Great weather (low 70's) and some excellent birds seen at an iconic site...namely Santa Ana NWR. The jewel in the crown.

Ever since my first visit in 2000 I've loved this reserve. I've always preferred natural habitat and this reserve is just that. Right on the border including the Rio Grande and a series of Resaca's. I had two sessions of 2 hours split by a Starbuck's lunch due to it being Thanksgiving.

The morning session had me working the western areas looking for warblers. All I could find was a couple of Orange-crowned...

Add caption
The birds were very difficult to get "on" despite the vegetation not being very thick. I was hoping for a Black and White...but it wasn't to be.

As I was making my way to the area I remembered where I'd seen a Pauraque last year. I wondered if I could find the spot again? I'd just been chatting to this couple from California and had mentioned it to them. I walked around 40 yards and the area was exactly the same! I started to scan with my bins...and there it (or another) was!!!


I told the couple and they enjoyed great views of the bird with me. The camouflage is simply amazing.

I finally added Least Grebe tot he trip list...


Only found in coastal southern Texas it's a shy species. There were at least a dozen tucked in against the reeds.

After lunch we returned and  headed east this time to Pintail Lakes. I added a few more ticks...Ruddy Duck, Canvasback...


and a surprise female Bufflehead...


A first-winter White-faced Ibis was a nice find amongst the Black-bellied Whistling Ducks...


I reckon I saw at least 15 Kiskadees including 6 in one bush. A very gregarious species. Here's one of them...


When I first started coming to America I remember seeing this next bird at Neal's Lodges, another fantastic Texas Birding venue. I got to know the late June Osborne quite well. She loved this bird...


Vermilion Flycatcher
There were two stunning males present but they kept their distance...unfortunately!

t was time to leave now as I wanted to try for the Parrots at their roost sites n McAllen. Red-crowned first. I had two fly-overs at distance. Not what  was after but pleased to pick them out. Amazingly I found my first American Goldfinch of the trip feeding as I waited...


Another big surprise was the discovery of at least 6 Clay-coloured Thrushes!! If you remember I'd seen two at Quinta Mazatlan but these records were a BIG surprise...at least to me...


The sun was setting fast and we were late arriving at the Green Parakeet site...in fact I'm not sure we found it! f you were following last year you'll remember I had great views at Kohl's. Not to be this time. Never mind.

Just kidding about the VF...I did manage a better view. I'm sure June would have approved...


Trip total 152

Stay tuned...

No comments: