Saturday 25 November 2017

Texas 17 - Day 16

The question is...does White-collared Seedeater really exist?

We were back at Salineno for 8am this morning. I reckoned my best chance for Audubon's Oriole was early at the feeding station. Bad move!!!

No sign by 9.15 although I did add Olive Sparrow...


Just one snap shot managed of this VERY secretive species.

White-tipped Doves also showed...


Another shy species that prefers to walk rather than fly?!

Then another birder appeared. He seemed excited. "I've just seen WCS" he exclaimed! Of course he had full frame pics. Of course they exist...I just can't find them. I spent the rest of the day proving this theory.

I left the feeding station immediately and patrolled the riverbank...again...


There's worse places to be.

The birder joined me and showed me the spot he'd seen them at...which was good of him. He had two Chihuahuas, one was a nervous youngster. He'd taken them as his own as they'd been abandoned. A lovely thing to do. No joy but  did connect with my first Verdin of the trip. I saw a tiny bird zip across in front of me and land briefly in a bush. A bins view then an attempt with the camera...


Just sneaked a confirmation top right.

We left the area at 12 and headed for Zapata for a Subway lunch.

I tried a couple of spots recommended n the guides but they didn't work out so I returned to San Ygnacio for another stint...


I wondered if this was the same Roadrunner as the other day. It saw me coming...


Always good value. I got another brief glimpse later...


Got to stop cutting their tails off!

Of course I was bound to see another Verdin. You can just see a hint of the reddish-brown shoulder patch.


So after another 5 hours effort, still no WCS.

We head North tomorrow with a stop over at Taylor which is east of Austin. I'll be trying for McCown's Longspur first thing on Sunday around Grainger Lake. Then it's on to Galveston...

Trip list 157

Stay tuned...

No comments: