Friday 10 November 2017

Texas 17 - Day 1

Well, we’ve arrived. 26 hours of travel from Manchester via Amsterdam to Houston. A hectic drive through the city down to New Braunfels on the outskirts of San Antonio. Phew! Oh and my case didn’t make it!!

ALWAYS worth it though.

We managed to get to Lorna’s house by 8pm. It was great to see her again. We sorted out the details for her place in the RGV that we’re renting. We convinced her to go out for a “cold one” as she put it. Clyde inevitably came up in conversation. I said I’d be struggling to make it for dawn after the journey. We said our goodbyes and headed for the Best Western. Lights out for 10.

I awoke at 4am! The joys of jet lag. I managed to doze till 6 then crept out to return to Lorna’s for 6.30. She’d kindly left the gate open for me and I joined her on the rear porch. She had to leave for work at 7 but said I could stay as long as I wanted. It was cool by Texas standards (50F) and there was very little avian activity. The first bird I noticed was a cracking Carolina Wren. A slightly larger bird than “ours”.

Four Egyptian Geese flew over heading towards the river. No sign of any Hummers although Lorna said she’d “heard him”! She wished us well for the trip and left for San Antonio. I’d decided to give it till 8 before returning the short distance back to the Motel for breakfast with Louise...


There were three feeders strategically placed around her garden, two near the porch and one by the shed. Still no show by 7.45. Then I caught sight of a Hummingbird. It looked quite “big”? It was the Rufous…high in the trees...


I moved over in stealth-like manner?...and managed an image...

Add caption
It looked like I was going to miss out on Clyde though. Oh no I wasn’t…7.58…out of nowhere…he was there on the feeder…

Clyde...male Calliope Hummingbird...through the twilight
A wonderfully nostalgic moment for me and a great start to the trip. It was great to see the little guy again...back for his FOURTH year! Really pleased for Lorna.

After breakfast we set off for a long drive to Van Horn...


...in preparation for a full day in the Guadalupe Mnts N.P. Targets being:-

Golden Eagle
Sage Thrasher
Sagebrush Sparrow
Cassin's Finch
RED CROSSBILL

Species count 12!

Stay tuned...

p.s. They've found my case!

No comments: