Thursday 16 November 2017

Texas 17 - Day 7

Wednesday started with a drive down to Brownsville dump! Another good time for the boss. She drove me (via Starbucks of course) to the entrance. A line of cars was present but it wasn’t clear if they were workers or birders vehicles. It was 85F and not a soul in sight. I’d decided to come here because a Wood Stork had been reported yesterday…as well as the TAMAULIPAS CROWS that had been present for a few days. Ironically I’ve seen this species many moons ago at the same location! So I was trying to see the “lesser” species.
 
While we were in Starbucks I’d checked the info’ sources on-line and discovered I’d missed a sighting of a Long-tailed Duck at Kaufer-Hubert Memorial Park east of Riviera, which was a couple of hours drive. I decided to abort the Brownsville twitch and head North. The 77 is yet another dead straight, open dual carriageway, so we made good time arriving at the park at 1 for our traditional Subway lunch. I watched the poles for a White-tailed Hawk…and found one...


Yet another beautiful Texas bird only found along the southern coastal strip in the US. Another stunner seen was the exquisite Scissor-tailed Flycatcher...


We arrived at the park on time and had lunch. I then walked to the pond and started to scan the wildfowl. An interesting mix of feral and wild. No joy after 15 minutes. LTD can be an obsessive diver so I wasn’t disheartened…yet. It was present yesterday? More searching. Bingo…
 
Distant at first through the heat haze

Then closer

A stretch
Close by
An excellent Texas tick (465) which could so easily have been overlooked.

On the way back we detoured via Delta Lake, another site were Wood Stork had been reported recently. I couldn’t dig one out but my scanning was brief as I was being eaten by mosquitoes! Thousands of Grackles and Turkey Vultures were present. Plenty of ducks as well!



Trip list 94
 
A relaxing day. Stay tuned…

No comments: