Sunday, 6 September 2026

This Week

Due to circumstances I'm reluctantly reporting weekly at the moment. I try to mix things up as much as possible but it is what it is.

Couple of visits last Friday and Sunday combined with a visit to Bury. The Scrape...has had some attention, as promised...


As you can see the visibility has improved. A further "swipe" in front of the Hide was made on Wednesday. Unfortunately my Friday visit revealed the small bush had been removed with it! Hopefully it will grow back? I did finally add Green Sandpiper (109)...


Back to Thursday. Haydn came over for the day and I gave him the full tour. We started at the Sewage which was quiet. We then tried the Cliff Top off Seaside and scored with my first Cormorant (H.78)...I know...and Red-throated Diver (79)...again, I know...of the Year!!! Best to leave a few. On the way to the Southern end we picked a few Med Gulls out of the Black-headed...


We visited the Cafe then carried on down to Stone Creek. I was curious to see if the Green Sandpiper was still around the Dung Heap...it was! Too quick for a pic...again. This Snipe was a decent replacement...


Eventually we made our way back to Patrington for lunch. Afterwards we tried some sites along the Humber. We had a walk up to the screen. This turned out to be a good decision as we were confronted with a wonderful sight...


I'd seen a decent number from the South Bank some years ago near Reeds Island BUT nowhere near this many. We estimated 300+. This was the undoubted highlight of the day although we also had a Whinchat, a couple of Wheatears. and a few Yellow Wagtails here.We saw plenty of Marsh Harriers in various locations and a kettle of 8 Buzzards at Patrington Haven.

The weather was remarkably mild throughout, which is always a blessing on the Estuary. A great day.

Saturday a message from Haydn had me back at NDC to try for the Greenshank he'd found earlier. 1hr 40 minutes later I had it on my Year List (110)...


The Scrape is producing...

A slightly jumbled report this time as I'm somewhat distracted at the moment by a Bird on Shetland!!!

MEGA EGYPTIAN NIGHTJAR Shetland Pool of Virkie Mainland 

I'd lined it up but I'm not going. Various reasons which I won't bore you with. I see things differently these days. Still keen and determined as ever but more measured. As stated previously I prefer the "thrill of the chase". I'm never "gonna see 'em all"...right? I never dreamed I'd see as many as I have. I'm more than happy with my total and my decision. 

All the very best to those who travelled.


No comments: