Stuart arrived just after 8 and we started at the Sewage in a blustery, moderate SE wind. 3 Brent Geese (87) soon appeared making their way South, fairy close in. They were soon followed by a few Wigeon (88) flocks, also South. We decided to try a more sheltered spot at the end of Seaside Road in the Village. It was much better and we soon had a couple of Arctic Skuas.
Once back in the car I checked my phone (which I couldn't hear in the wind)...
8.34 E Yorks EYEBROWED THRUSH Spurn trapped and ringed at Church Field. Will be released at 8.50
Our plans has changed! I dropped Stuart off at his car and we headed for Kilnsea independently. I arrived at "the spot" in the field and joined the hopefuls. It didn't look good with little open area and tall thick bushes.
A few familiar faces turned up including Rich Willison, Gary Dayes, Dave Hursthouse, Richard Boon and Steve Lawton. It was great to see them all.
By Noon I'd had enough. Hardly anyone remained. I drove back home for lunch. Around 2.30 a message informing me of another sighting, so I made my way back. I found a parking spot and waited in the car. I wasn't convinced. I rang Rich and he was also sceptical. I also had a chat with Steve who was of the same opinion. As I was considering leaving I heard someone shout my name? It was Andrew Kinghorn who was with Sam Viles. I hadn't seen him for quite some time. We had a good chat and remeniced over some previous Twitches we'd done together including SANDHILL CRANE and SIBERIAN RUBYTHROAT. I told him he had plenty of time to see one..."there'll be another" as they say. After saying goodbye I headed home again seeing a few Redwings (89) on the way. No Bird but I enjoyed the day.
Even if I'd have been at home I don't feel I would have got there in time. I would have had a go though! You may remember my ill-fated attempt at the PALLAS'S GRASSHOPPER WARBLER some years ago?
I have seen this Species in Britain at Auchmithie 29/5/95...BUT...it would have been a nice County tick. Ah well...
No comments:
Post a Comment