Saturday, 19 September 2026

Surprise Addition

First visit to Duff on Wednesday. I thought Haydn would be preparing for his Trip to Morocco tomorrow but his car was in the car park as I arrived! I figured he'd be out on the Platform and sure enough he was. It worked out well as he picked up a Great Spotted Woodpecker (110) on call and we eventually saw it briefly on top of a Riverside hawthorn. An unusual scenario!

Thursday was very quiet as I did the rounds on my Coastal Patch. A couple of Ospreys went through Spurn, which gave some sort of hope? I only have one record for the Village and I also saw one at Patrington Haven

Yesterday I arrived at NDC at 10. A later start after a night out with the Good Lady. I made my way to the Platform seeing little on the way...

Once in situ I started to scan hoping to maybe add Kingfisher or Grey Wagtail to the Year List? No luck there but the GWE was still feeding along the River. After a drink back at the car I made my way to the hut. The weather was deteriorating and there was a good chance of rain which I was hoping might bring something "down"?

The Scrape was empty apart from Adult and Juvenile Mute Swans. A couple of Herons then joined them. Nothing else of note was seen before the rain arrived around 2. As previously mentioned the area to the left of the Hide has been dramatically cleared (as has the front), giving excellent views of the trees and bushes...

You may recall earlier in the Year Haydn and I had discussed the chances of a Cattle Egret  joining the cows on the Riverbank, which eventually happened (22/7)!! I'd hoped a particular Species might find the above area to it's liking...one day?

I couldn't see anything by 2.45 and was thinking about leaving when I noticed some movement. A small Bird was dropping down from some dead snags before returning to its perch. Characteristic behavior?

I watched the Bird for some time and managed some decent pics despite the poor light. I then wondered how many previous records I'd had here? It's been a long vigil!! I thought it wouldn't be many but I was elated to see a ZERO on my eBird!!! A schoolboy error but one I'm happy to admit. 

I had my 173rd Species for the Reserve...

Spotted Flycatcher

The satisfaction of acquiring/finding a new Patch Tick is as pleasing as any MEGA...and that's the truth...


Despite the poor conditions, one Bird can brighten things up considerably, especially when it's a Patch Lifer!

This morning I started in the South of the Village. My "magic hedge" paid off early when this little cracker popped up on it from the weeds...

Whinchat (H.84)

It flew off high shortly afterwards. Timing. A lone Guillimot was swimming strongly North close in...



No comments: