Thursday, 27 August 2026

Village Action

On Monday afternoon I had a couple of hours down at Welwick. No sign of any Wheatears or Whinchats. I tried various spots along the track. Eventually I got lucky when a couple of juvenile Yellow Wagtails landed on adjacent posts right next to my car...



Tuesday I had an hour at the Sewage. As  drove to the Cliff a sinister shape glided low over the "rough stuff" and landed on the fence...

Sparrowhawk (P.100, H.72)

Long overdue!

The local Kestrel showed better...


Yesterday we had a Trip over to York after dropping Louise's car off in Hull for a minor repair.

I took her to Monks Cross for some retail therapy before returning South to Duff. I concentrated on the bushes but alas, no joy. I didn't fare any better from the Hide! A disappointing session BUT important to mention as a question of balance? It can't always be exciting!

Today we had to return to Hull to pick her car up. Whilst driving down Snakey I noticed some movement in the stubble...Grey Partridge (P.101, H.73)

On returning home I received a message off Richard informing me he'd had some Birds on School Lane. I'd tried the area many times before without much luck...

Today that changed. Within 30 minutes I had Redstart (P.102, H.74)...

Pied (P.103, H.75) and Spotted Flycatcher(P.104, H.76)!!! There were also several Willow Warblers (P.105, H.77) including some cracking juveniles. A couple of Meadow Pipits was a surprise...

I will return!

Over to Lancs tomorrow, so the obligatory detour to Duff early doors. The rain has arrived at last, so hopefully something decent to help the journey?

No comments: