Monday, 7 September 2026

Twitching Times

Firstly, sincere congratulations to all who made it on Sunday. Well planned. No envy here. It always intriuges me how they get there so quickly? A "Dip" is character building!

If you've followed me for any length of time you'll know I've had some wonderful adventures and have great memories chasing various MEGAS over the last 40 years (Wow, is it THAT long?). Hopefully you've enjoyed some of my Tales?

I'd lined up an attempt yesterday once news came through that the Bird was roosting on a small beach close to the Airport (handy). I must admit I was surprised it stuck it out in poor conditions? Not very arid! A truly remarkable record...Ship assisted? This enabled all with good connections to achieve a "Slam Dunk" as it was sat there in the rain all day, wondering where the hell it had ended up...poor thing. I have to say, not the most thrilling of scenarios (this does come into my thinking) BUT...a Tick is a Tick right...and a Whopper at that!

Whilst contemplating the logistics I started to reflect on the outlay needed to make my attempt. I have the will and time but...

I simply can't justify it these days 

When I was teaching (more flush)) I did a couple of Charter flights for CAPE MAY WARBLER and BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO. Both with the FULL backing of my wonderful Wife (as it was yesterday). Being mainly a lone wolf (I do have some valued pals) I'm not as well connected as some... and that's my choice. It can obviously be to my detriment regarding logistics and speed of attempt.

I've done fine over the Years as my list shows but on some occasions it can prove costly. That's OK though I've gone way beyond initial expectations.

As previously stated I'm never going to win the Champions League! Europe will do lol! It has to be on my terms. Comparison is futile.

As I approach 70 (just glad I'm still here to be honest) I'm more aware of my responsibilities and budget! Yesterday I thought long and hard before rejecting my attempt, which was just as well as the Bird wasn't seen today!!! The thought of mooching around Sumbrough doesn't bear thinking about. I've been in this situation on more than one occasion.

Personally, I've never enjoyed Shetland ( no offence meant) on my visits, although I've seen some great Birds there. The stand out for me was the TENGMALM'S OWL. Not just the Species but the whole scenario. A magical Trip. I prefer the other end, as you know. 

I won't be going there again

This will obviously limit my opportunities for future additions. That's fine. Did I mention the Ferry?!

I'll still look to add new Birds to various lists and hopefully something will drop on Scilly this October, preferably when I'm there...16th - 30th.

Here's to the next one...

No comments: