Monday 29 March 2021

NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD - A post-lockdown reward!

...I decided on a trip to Devon! I've just got back (8.30), so apologies if the report is muddled...what's new? Here we go then...

I had no idea how this was going to pan out but one thing was for sure...I was going!

Having seen various reports on the difficulties of seeing this bird in a back garden I set off at 5.30am with my mate and a bucket! The bird was being viewed...by locals of course...over a 7' wall. It was faithful to a Holly and a Palm. With it being the first day after Lockdown, I figured it might be a bit cosy early doors, so I planned on arriving around lunchtime, providing the bird was reported of course. Sure enough, just after 7 positive news came through.

A couple of accidents on the M18 put me back an hour but I arrived at Gloucester Services at 10.30. A good stretch for both of us...then onwards to Devon. I arrived in Exeter around Noon. As I made my way down towards Exmouth the MEGA alert went off? During Lockdown the bird was only being reported first thing so I wasn't expecting an update...but what an update...

12.25 NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD in front garden on Iona Avenue/Seymour Road

Front being the key word!!! A quick check on Google Maps showed me FIVE minutes away. As I turned into Iona Avenue I could see 5 Birders looking into a garden. I pulled up trying to look calm and failing. Is it showing I asked? Bud made conversation difficult as always. The bird was in a bush apparently. I pulled up some 30 yards down, grabbed my camera and joined the chaps. One of them pointed to a manicured privet type bush that was quite dense. I couldn't see anything...granted I didn't have my bins...I was in a hurry! After around 2 minutes I saw movement, slowly but surely a bird made its way up to the top of the bush and just sat there in the sunshine...


I've been on many twitches over the past 30+ years and seen some stunning and not so stunning birds. I've had some exhilerating adventures and some obligatory ticks. However, none have been more satisfying than this one. I think you can guess why! Goodnight...


No comments: