Tuesday 30 March 2021

Fall

Despite yesterday's exploits I woke early and was rewarded with this view out the back as I went to the fridge...

A regular visitor

I wanted to check Old Hive to see if any Sand Martins had arrived. As this is my first full year after retirement (I won't mention it again) I'm keen to try and record more information on birds around the Village. It was another gorgeous day, more like July than March. Another great tonic after all the restrictions...and wind!!

The erosion of the Cliff has had some benefits. I can now get down onto the beach, even with my dubious balance these days...

Sand Martins (P.84, H.83) were present (7 birds) and amazingly had already dug some nest holes...



The birds frequently visited the holes and perched regularly at the entrances. These were the best views I have ever had here.Watching these tiny birds zooming around is difficult. The views on the Cliff are far superior. I was surprised how grey they appeared...probably my camera lol!







Great to have a colony so close to home.

After lunch I drove up to Cliff Farm and did an extended 3 hour watch/wait as 2 White-tailed Eagles aahdbeen reported moving South. The last report was from Hornsea Mere. They didn't arrive but it was nice to wait in the sunshine...

After a Tesco run I finished off walking South from the Sewage to the Llama Farm. It was a beautiful evening. As I passed the Llama farm I noticed three tractors working the ploughed field. It was now much flatter with fine soil. Handy for viewing! I walked around the perimeter so I wasn't looking west into the sun...and started to scan. A Wheatear...another...and another! To my delight they seemed to be all over the field!

It's a big field! There were a minimum of TWENTY birds present which I can say with confidence is a record personal count. The best I could manage in one pic was 4...I think...

All the birds kept their distance, roaming the centre area of the field. This was the best I could get...

It was interesting to speculate on the reasons for this exceptional number. Probably a combination of weather and a suitable feeding area...plus ease of view of course.

No comments: