Tuesday 22 December 2020

Snakey Stroll

We had a frost last night, so after I'd scaped it off the windscreen I headed down Snakey Lane and parked up about half-way down (c1.5 M). The sun was out and it was a cold, clear Winter's morning. Love 'em.

We walked west towards Patrington and it was "Birdy" as the Americans say! Good flocks of Yellowhammers...


...Reed Buntings (c30) and Chaffinches (c50) were present. As we approached "the bungalow" I noticed some chunky numbers in a lone tree. 10 Corn Buntings. Over the next 30 minutes I was treated to my best ever performance by these scarce, under-rated birds. A conservative estimate would be 30 . Many disputes were in evidence and a few were actually SINGING!!


It was also nice to pick a few out in the winter crop...

Subtle

In a different light


I've said it before ...and I'll no doubt say it again...so fortunate to have this species (and quite a few others scarcities) locally.

A pair of distant Swans sailed over...wing noise only...

Mute

Always notable here. Add to this a few Fieldfare...


and Redwing...


...a near constant movement of Wood Pigeons and three large coveys of Red-legged Partridges (released birds?) it turned out to be quite a morning! Still no Lapwing!


Great news regarding the "scope situation". After much searching I've incredibly (considering the age) found a mint condition APO 62 body!! I dug out a pair of Leica 8x20 BCA's which I've had for years and Louise used only occasionally. Bottom line being I'm back in business for under £500 which with today's telephone number prices for scopes I have to be happy with. It's still a great compact scope.

No comments: