Wednesday 2 December 2020

Lockdown over but Tier 3 here!

Hope I've got this right? Having read the bumph it seems I can travel within my "area" for exercise and recreation. I'm a good boy (most of the time) so I'll limit my journeys to local sites BUT I will be travelling to NDC which in my book just qualifies for the odd winter visit being on the border of East and North Yorkshire.

On that note I had a trundle up the coast road to Hornsea Mere this morning. A report of a drake Smew is always tempting. It's a very large piece of water and my luck wasn't...in. I had seen one well a few years ago. On the plus side Pink-footed Geese were present in large numbers being almost constantly in view and earshot; a wonderful experience. It was very relaxing to spend time at the waters edge despite the gloom!

........................................................................................

I couldn't help noticing today...news of the final total of a collection on Tiree, as a result of the YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER twitch. Much self-congratulation from successful twitchers at the amount raised for good causes, which is fine (I'm trying not to sound too bitter here lol!). As you know, I (and others) refrained from travelling due to COVID 19 and the wishes of many of the Islanders in this small vulnerable community. This was the correct decision in my book. My problem is seeing the difference between visiting Tiree and Barra which was the site of the (rightly) suppressed RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET. This is because...there isn't one. I'll throw in Yell, Shetland as well, regarding the...TENNESSEE WARBLER...where many locals were far from happy...including the finder! All should have been suppressed on health grounds.

On a general note...sharing information regarding a MEGA (chance would be a fine thing) is always frought with risk...and undoubtedly great pressure...especially regarding a "First for Britain". If you confide in someone and they let you down that's...er...disappointing!! I guess the aftermath could be pretty awkward also! This was unfortunately the case on Tiree (I know this for a fact) but obviously not on Barra.

To each their own...

No comments: