Thursday 31 December 2020

Shore Larks - a nice finish!

I wanted to make the most of the final day, especially as it was a cracker. Love clear, albeit cold, sunny Winters days with little wind. I started with a 2 hour Sea Watch from dawn which produced...nothing!

I then tried the Sewage, walking South to the Llama Farm. As I walked over the frozen ground I received a message off Richard informing me he'd found c20 Snow Buntings near Mill Hill, just South of the Village. I continued to the farm hoping to find some myself. It wasn't to be but a couple of Stonechats were present...

I dropped Bud off at home and then walked South to look for the Snow Buntings. It was now 12.30. The light was superb and I scanned the path and field at regular intervals as I walked. As I approached Mill Hill I slowed so I could peep over the top of the brow without disturbing anything that might be present. This is the area that the Shore Larks favoured in early April. As I looked over the brow I couldn't initially see anything, then I noticed movement on the path. First thought Snow Buntings...too dark...Meadow Pipits?...NO...SHORE LARKS!!!


You may remember I thought I'd "missed the boat" in April only to re-find them a week later. This was the icing on the cake though to find my own. So glad I reacted quickly with the camera, as they flew into the field after a few seconds and I couldn't re-locate them by dusk, despite extensive searching. I did sneak a Black-throated Diver (H.137. P.152). I also had a flock of 58 Golden Plover over...

...couldn't string one into a Lapwing!

What a terrific end to the year! What it's all about really. All those hours of coverage and then...BOOM!

Further luck was had with my last drive down Snakey when 2 Mute Swans crossed the sky in the twilight and a Merlin zoomed low North!

No prizes guessing where I'll be at dawn tomorrow. Wouldn't be a bad start to the Year List.

Let's hope next year's better...

2 comments:

Barry Bishop said...

All the best for 2021 Alan.
Keep up the good work with your blog.
I will be down at the NDC TOMORROW.
Barry Bishop (Holgate Birder)

Alan Whitehead said...

Cheers Barry. All the Best. Let's hope things improve soon.