Tuesday 8 December 2020

Here and There

Slow start...again! Never mind. As I was sorting myself out Richard was just returning from the Cliff and reported it was "quiet". On that report I decided to start down Snakey on a surprisingly bright, sunny morning. I headed for the west end by East End Farm?! There's an impressive stubble field here (unfortunately none on the coastal strip this Winter) which has attracted decent numbers of birds. I usually bird from the car from the numerous lay-bys but today I had a walk with my mate. It paid dividends when almost immediately I picked up a group of Corn Buntings in a tree right by the road as a skein of PFG flew over...




As you can see, I was looking into the sun, so I moved round for a more favourable aspect. The bird obliged...



Richard appeared but the birds had flown off into the enormous field.

After lunch I decided to have an hour down by the Humber as the sun was still shining. As I started to walk West I noticed a group of Swans in the fields. I jumped (well slid) back in the car and drove a farm track to confirm they were indeed Whoopers (15)...


There were decent numbers of Pink-footed Geese present both on the Estuary and in the adjacent fields. It seems to be a bumper Winter for this species in Yorkshire...


Next...a SEO along the saltmarsh which typically disappeared rather quickly!


Better luck later though, after much stalking...


Very pleased to get a perched bird.


Something different...

Male Marsh Harrier


The Whoopers were still present at 4.30pm.

The Tree Sparrow count on the feeders has risen to 5 and the Goldfinch to 9. I'm also getting daily visits from a juvenile GSW.

No comments: