Wednesday 9 December 2020

Follow Up

Gloomy one today weather wise, I'm afraid. I decided to follow up on a couple of yesterday's sightings, namely Whooper Swan and Corn Bunting. Firstly to the Humber. I parked up and started the familiar walk West. Almost immediately I noticed "the Swans" in the first field? Had they just arrived through the mist, as I didn't notice them on the approach road? Back to the car so I could approach closer. Down the embankment to the first corner...no Swans? Blimey, that was a quick departure! Back to the car park...they were back!? Turns out they never left!! I just couldn't see them from the road as there was a slight dip in the field!! Duh.

18 birds

I only counted 15 yesterday? I took the farm track so I could get slightly closer to check them with my bins and camera...just in case there weer any Bewick's...there weren't. The problem from this viewpoint was that I was looking into the light...



It was a privilige to see these magnificent birds so well, at one of my key sites. I left them in peace. I then headed for the area of Snakey Lane where I had seen the Corn Buntings. Sure enough, there they were. This time there were NINE birds together in a tree...

Record Count!

Again, a privilige to see this species locally, especially in Winter. Another one from yesterday...


I've always had a special affinity for this species...for some reason. The "Fat bird of the Barley".

Once I realised I'd dropped my gloves earlier I returned to the Humber to discover some kind soul had left them on a fencepost. Some restoration in Human Nature occured. The Swans were no longer there...definitely! I decided to try yesterday's location and sure enough, there they were...



2 comments:

Tim Dixon said...

Corn Bunts and Whoopers, what more could you want?

Alan Whitehead said...

Very true Tim!