Monday 22 June 2020

Decisions... Decisions!?

So, my long anticipated BAIKAL TEAL addition to my Yorkshire List (I saw the accepted Minsmere bird) has bit the dust! It has been deemed unworthy by the "ten just men".  The Flamboro' bird (with wing damage) was accepted? No evidence of captivity on the Spurn bird. Granted, it did linger but it also travelled North (and came from the south) and eventually left for parts unknown. Other long(er)-staying wildfowl examples can be found.

Wildfowl provenance is always controversial but are the decisions consistent?

Historical records of certain species are also being retrospectively admitted i.e. FALCATED DUCK. Maybe this record will be reviewed...someday?

Someone has to make a decision and opinions on that decision will obviously vary. Vested interests can fuel that opinion... as mine does in this case! Even if I'd have seen the Flamboro' bird I would have deemed this record...just as worthy.

Inconsistency dilutes the value of "The List" for me. I won't mention the Chinese Pond Heron...whoops, I just have!!!

It's a game...

There's a funny Tern in Ireland at the moment. It's mating with a Sandwich Tern?
Some will travel no doubt. I won't be one of them. Not interested in the bird and don't "do" Ireland. Just Britain for me...that's big enough!

No comments: